Modern Foreign Languages
The aims of our Faculty:
- To encourage positive attitudes to foreign language learning and to speakers of foreign languages, and a sympathetic approach to other cultures and civilisations.
- To provide the opportunity for all pupils to be able to study at least one foreign language up to a recognised level of competence commensurate with their ability.
- To show pupils that the learning of a foreign language can be an enjoyable, stimulating and rewarding experience.
- To enable pupils to develop self-reliance and to take responsibility for their own learning.
- To enable pupils to understand the spoken and written word in the foreign language.
- To develop the ability to use the foreign language effectively for purposes of practical communication.
- To enable pupils to recognise grammatical patterns and manipulate language structures for their own purposes.
We offer French, German and Spanish.
Native speakers of these languages and any other foreign language are encouraged to do early entry GCSE in that language.
Year 7 and 8
Students study one of the following languages:
Students, who have been successful in their first foreign language, receive a recommendation from their teacher to begin the study of a second language, to add to the language studied in yer 7 and 8.
Year 10 and 11
Pupils are encouraged to study at least one foreign language to the age of 16, particularly those recommended to follow the EBac. Bilingual students can be entered for the GCSE early, regardless of their age. Exam board for French, German and Spanish: Edexcel
Year 12 and 13
We strongly encourage able students to continue with a language to A level
French Exam board: OCR
German Exam board: Edexcel
Spanish Exam board: Edexcel
We are resourced in a suite of rooms equipped with interactive whiteboards.
- Educational trips for all key stages e.g., to see foreign language films/plays.
- Trips to France/Germany/Spain.
- Visiting theatre companies performing in French/German/Spanish.
- Café Sanchez: the opportunity to taste food from France/Germany/Spain.
|Miss M Warschawsky||Head of MFL Facultyemail@example.com|
|Mrs P Burchell||Head of Germanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mrs A Reeves||Head of Frenchemail@example.com|
|Mr R Garcia||Head of Spanishfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Miss R. Renfrew||Teacher of French and Spanishemail@example.com|
|Mr. Ellison||Teacher of French/ Germanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr U Sanchez||Teacher of Spanish / French /Germanemail@example.com|
|Mrs E Shields||Teacher of German (Sixth Form)
www.linguascope.com (username and password available from your teacher)
http://www.zut.org.uk/index.html (username and password available from your teacher or free use after 4pm and at weekends)